Gladys Weimer Sutton
Gladys Weimer Sutton was born on October 30, 1923 in Riverdale, Illinois. She was the only daughter of the late Ernest Abraham and Gertrude van der Hook Weimer. She was predeceased by her younger brother Reinhart Donald Roza.
Gladys married the love of her life Billy Luther Sutton on April 1, 1944. Billy was listed as Missing in Action by the Navy during WW2 after the submarine he was serving on was sunk. Several months later he shocked and surprised everyone by showing up on Gladys’ doorstep without any prior notice of his survival. They were married a few days later on April Fool’s Day!
Gladys was an excellent seamstress sewing everything from eloquent wedding dresses to fashionable Barbie doll clothes. She had a vocational degree from Business College where she learned typing, short hand and bookkeeping. She worked in the accounting department of a variety of professional offices. She was generous with her skills during tax season each year by helping her friends and neighbors in filing their taxes.
Gladys was affectionally known as “Gaggle” to her family and friends. This nickname was given to her by her oldest grandchild Deborah when she was learning to talk and blended Gladys and Grandma together. She loved this nickname and proudly used it until the very end of her 97 years of life. “Gaggle” owned a small motorhome and lovingly took her grandkids on extended camping and fishing trips and wild adventures through various theme parks.
Gladys was the matriarch of five generations of descendants. She is survived by every single one of them. Her descendants began with her three children Sandra, Karen and Billy, Jr. Their families are as follows:
Sandra Louise Sutton has four children
1. Deborah Louise Pope -Child: Jessica Layne Graham (Spouse Heath, Children: Alyssa Lynelle Graham, Marley Layne Graham)
2. Rhonda Toie Lindley (Spouse Phillip) Children: Devon Scott Lindley, Michael Bryan Lindley, Tayler Brooke Ayres (Spouse Jordan, Children: Amira Ezaline Lindley, Ivana Esther Lindley-Barron)
3. Jerry Glenn Pope (Spouse Randa) Children: Scotti Monet Hughes, Joshua Cody McLaughlin, Kirkland Russell Pope, Holden Luther Pope
4. Virginia Lee Johnson (Spouse Colton) Children: Megan Elizabeth Holcomb, Jade Addison Johnson, Lilah Noelle Johnson
Karen Marie Simmons (Spouse John) has five children
1. John Franklin Simmons, Jr (Spouse Vivian) Children: Jack Franklin Simmons, Sawyer Lynn Simmons, Sadie Marie Simmons, Lila Josephine Simmons
2. David Nathan Simmons (Spouse Stephanie) Children: Henry David Simmons, Eleanor Elizabeth Simmons, George Butler Simmons
3. Melanie Michelle Brown (Spouse Seth) Children: Rebecca Asalene Brown, Titus Seth Brown, Thaddeus Quincy Brown
4. Paul Michael Simmons (Spouse Kristina) Children: Annabelle Rose Simmons, Franklin Michael Simmons
5. Mark Aaron Simmons (Spouse Andrea)
Billy Luther Sutton, Jr (Spouse Tammie- with whom Gladys shared a genuine friendship and filled a loving role that only a true mother could fill) has four children
1. Billy Luther Sutton, III (Spouse Megan) Children: Layla Cook, Ava June Sutton
2. Kayla Nichole Sutton
3. Corey Tanner Sutton (Spouse Kristin)
4. Ashly Marie Flores (Spouse Benjamin)
Gladys peacefully passed into Heaven on April 19, 2021 surrounded by her loving caregivers at Wiregrass Nursing Home, Geneva, Alabama. A family memorial service will be held later this summer to celebrate and honor her very long life.